Can Dogs Eat Plum?

plums

Plum trees have been known to produce fruit that causes cyanide poisoning in dogs and other mammals. This is because the cyanogenetic compounds found in the leaves, skin, and seeds of the plums may be ingested by animals or humans after eating the fruit. If eaten, these compounds will cause cyanide poisoning, which is usually fatal in dogs.

If you are thinking “Can dogs eat plum?” The answer is a No. Because plums are very toxic to dogs hence they are bad for dogs and can be fatal. To find out the exact reason why dogs can’t eat grapes or raisins keep reading and also learn the symptoms to watch out for when a dog has food poising.

Plums are a healthy, nutritious treat and a good source of Vitamin. Unfortunately, they can be poisonous to dogs. It is important to be aware of the signs of plum poisoning in dogs and to know whether you should take your dog to the vet or not. The signs to watch for are vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, lethargy, weakness, and in extreme cases, seizures. Symptoms of plum poisoning in dogs usually occur within just a few hours of ingestion.

Plums are actually a great source of vitamin C, and dogs can consume them without any problems. In fact, research has shown that dogs who consume vitamin C-rich foods have a lower risk of developing kidney and heart disease. How much of a plum a dog can eat depends on its size, but the average dog can eat about a plum a day.  The pits of plums contain cyanide, so it’s important to remove them before feeding a plum to your dog. The cyanide will dissipate as soon as the plum is ripe, so if you are using unripe fruit, you don’t need to worry about your dog eating the pits.

Can Dogs Eat Plums?

Can dogs have plums? The answer is a No. Plum has a high amount of sugar content, with 4 grams in a 100-gram serving. While this is only a little higher than the sugar content of a banana, for example, the dog’s metabolism is much higher, so a little sugar can go a long way in terms of causing a toxic reaction. The seeds also contain amygdalin, a cyanogenic glycoside which releases hydrogen cyanide (the lethal component in the gas chamber) when digested. This compound causes immediate physical symptoms, which are the result of the hydrogen cyanide binding to the iron in the dog’s red blood cells. The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and weakness.

Why dogs should not be given plums?

The biggest concern with dogs and plums is pit ingestion. This means the iron will harm the oesophagus and the stomach as well. It is rarely the case that the flesh of the plum is dangerous,  except if the plum is overripe, fermented, or mouldy, a small amount of plum flesh without the pit is probably good.” Allowing your dog to eat a significant quantity of the flesh or canned variety is not recommended.

Because of the high sugar content, eating too many plums may be fatal. Eating large quantities of sugar on a regular basis will lead to diabetes in the long run. For your dog, a diabetic diet could be the best option. Fido can benefit from a little fibre, but too much can cause digestive problems, which can lead to constipation and diarrhoea. If you’re looking for a small treat for your dog, steer clear of plums and instead look into the best dog treats!

What is Plum Poisoning?

What is plum poisoning in dogs? In dogs, plum poisoning occurs when a dog eats the plum pit or stones of plums, grapes, or raisins. The pit or stones contain a substance called amygdalin, which dogs cannot digest. Over time, the amygdalin turns into a compound called hydrogen cyanide, which is poisonous.

Symptoms of Plum Poisoning in Dogs?

  • Fast breathing
  • Dilated pupils
  • Agitation
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting,
  • Diarrhea,
  • Stomach pain or stomach upsets,
  • Lethargy,
  • Weakness and in extreme cases, seizures
  • Shock
  • Loss of a dog without treatments

There are several key points to keep in mind when trying to determine whether your pet has been poisoned by plums or plum pits. Primarily, your dog must have eaten both the fruit and its pits. If your dog has eaten only the fruit, it will likely pass the fruit and experience no gastrointestinal side effects. When your dog eats the pits, the pits pass through your dog’s digestive system and can release hydrogen cyanide into your dog’s bloodstream, causing clinical toxicosis.

Plum Poisoning treatments for Dogs

With plum poisoning, the veterinarian will initiate treatment as soon as possible. The most important thing is to get the cyanide and other contaminants out of your dog’s system as soon as possible, before the liver becomes overworked and seizures cause brain damage.

Sodium nitrite or methylene blue will be given through an intravenous (IV), which can promote the formation of methemoglobin in the blood. By adding this substance, the blood will get rid of the cyanide. otherwise, the vet may consider thiosulfate, which promotes the production of rhodanese and takes out the cyanide.

It is always required to keep your pet in the hospital for at least 24 hours to observe and manage any complications. The veterinary staff will keep your dog in the hospital and administer oxygen and fluids while it recuperates.

What If Your Dog Eats a Plum?

Unaddressed, this issue could result in kidney failure for dogs, which could be fatal. Take your pet to the veterinarian if it eats plum pits. if you think your dog has eaten any plum foods or drinks, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 for immediate treatment.

Benefits of Plums (Not for dogs)

Plums are a type of fruit that can be eaten either raw or cooked. Plums are rich in nutrients and have been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years. Some of the health benefits associated with plums include: Diuretic, laxative, and expectorant properties

  • Anti-inflammatory benefits
  • Prevents and treats scurvy
  • Prevents constipation and other digestive problems
  • Protects the eyes
  • Provides relief from sore throat
  • Helps to relieve coughs
  • Helps to relieve gout and rheumatism

Types of fruits and treats dogs can eat?

  • Orange
  • Cranberries
  • Apples
  • Strawberries
  • Apricots
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupes
  • Mango
  • Pear
  • Pineapple
  • Raspberries

Types of fruits and treats dogs can not eat?

  • Lemons
  • Cherries
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Limes
  • Grapefruit
  • Persimmons
  • Plums

Plums are a truly delicious and delicious fruit commonly eaten by humans as a healthy food source and as a desert. The plum tree is a small deciduous tree and is a hybrid of the cherry plum and Prunus domestica, the domesticated plum. Plums grow on trees and are generally yellow, green, or purple in color and can be eaten raw, made into fruit juice, dried, or cooked into jams, pies, or other deserts. Unfortunately, it is best to avoid giving your pet plum as they can easily digest the plum puts which could seriously

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ten − 7 =