Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

A dog’s diet is incredibly important to its health, and it’s essential to know if grapes fruits are safe for dogs to have. While some fruits are nutritious and tasty treats for pups to consume they are other fruits that are harmful and can cause serious harm to dogs.

If you are thinking “Can dogs have grapes?” The answer is a NO because grapes and raisins are very toxic to dogs hence they are bad for dogs and can be fatal to them. To find out the exact reason why dogs can’t eat grapes or raisins keep reading and also learn the symptoms to watch out for when a dog has food poising.

Dogs are more susceptible to poisoning from grape toxicity and raisins than from other fruits because these types of fruits are more likely to be eaten in their entirety which increases the risk of toxic exposure and can cause acute renal failure. In order to reduce the risk of grape or raisin toxicity, monitor your dog’s interactions with any fruit and be aware of the symptoms of grape or raisin ingestion poisoning.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

So, can dogs have peeled or seedless grapes or raisins (dried grapes)? No, they can’t have grapefruits in any amount. The exact cause of toxicity in dogs after a grape or raisin ingestion is not known, nor is the amount and most dogs can have kidney damage as a result. Grapes contain several substances (like cyanide) that can be poisonous to them, hence dogs should not be fed grapes and raisins.

Signs of Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

These are the signs your dog may exhibit if he or she has ingested grapes or raisins. You should go to the vet as soon as possible if you suspect your pet has been poisoned by grapes.

  • Results in increased thirst and urine production
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Grapes or raisins in vomit or stool
  • Low energy
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness and Lethargy
  • Symptoms of abdominal pain
  • Lack of urine production (anuria)
  • Tremors

Are raisins safe for dogs to eat?

While raisins are not toxic if they are ingested by humans, they are not safe for dogs in any quantity. Raisins are a form of dried grapes that can cause raisin toxicity to dogs. Raisin toxicity to dogs is the result of the grapes’ high sugar and acidity levels.

What If Your Dog Eats a Grapefruit or Raisin?

Unaddressed, this issue may result in the loss of the dog’s kidney function, which could be fatal. Take your pet to the veterinarian if it eats grapes or raisins. They may recommend emesis. Don’t administer a vomiting treatment if the dog is experiencing difficulty breathing or signs of shock.

It can be the result of several other illnesses, so see your veterinarian if you aren’t sure about the grape or raisin in question. They can provide additional instructions to ensure that you do not give yourself or others any type of emesis (vomiting treatment).

if you suspect your pet has eaten any grapes-related human foods or drinks, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 for immediate treatment.

What Types Of Grapes fruits or drinks are safe for my dog?

All types of grape-containing products can be dangerous for dogs and can cause acute renal kidney failure. Here are lists of all dog-related food or drink product that are dangerous for dogs ingestion:

  • Grapes fruit
  • Grape juice
  • Raisins
  • Currants
  • Trail-mix
  • Baked products containing grapes or currents
  • Wine

Fruits to avoid feeding dogs:

  • Cherries
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Grapefruit
  • Persimmons

Fruits safe for dogs to eat:

  • Apples
  • Apricots
  • Bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Cantaloupes
  • Cranberries
  • Mango
  • Orange
  • Pear
  • Pineapple
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eleven − eleven =